Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Let's See a Little Hustle Out There!!



Sunday October 2nd saw the day dawn damp and overcast which couldn't be better unless it had been pouring rain or even snowing like at this event last year.

I mounted up with the hard tail in 'cross trim and set out to Duntroon with a leisurely preparation period planned before the 10 am start time for my race. After picking up my numbers at the OCA table I meandered over to the Registration line and waited my turn. As I gave my name and number and held out my credit card the lady said something to the effect of "Cash only." I didn't really register until she had said it at least once more and then could only muster a "Really?" as I was totally dumbfounded at the lack of technology. Even in the backwoods of an O-Cup in Buck Wallow, Gravenhurst you can register with one of those manual credit card imprinters from days of yore. I then asked if they had a bank machine around and she looks both left and right before saying "I don't see one."

This sort of sucked as I figured my day was done. However, Jodi and the kids were coming to watch the race so I couldn't just leave. I decided to drive back towards Stayner (10 min's.) where I could catch Jodi as she was coming to the race. Then, while at top speed for a '06 Toyota Matrix, I decided that there was a slim chance of actually grabbing some cash at the convenience store in Stayner and still making it back before the rack started. The problem would be that if registration closed 30 min's before the race I was screwed. Anyway I blazed into the Mac's, grabbed $60 out of the machine beside some weirdo who was babbling to me about his Proline picks for the upcoming week, and launched back towards Highlands Nordic up on the escarpment in the distance.

I rocketed back into the race site, jumped on my bike and got to the chalet. As I re approached the registration table the lady looked genuinely surprised and said "Where did you find a cash machine?". I tried to stay calm and just asked if there was still time to sign up and luckily I made it onto the start list.

Back at the car, I now had less than 20 min's to get dressed, eat a bit, check tire pressures and get over to the start line and try to scope out a bit of the course. Right then Jodi pulled up so I also helped dress Mason and get them on their way to the spectator area.

It was a bit of a disaster and I forgot to each a gel that I had out to maintain maximum horsepower for the duration of the race. Finally I made it to the line with about 2 minutes to spare and was pretty much starting from the back like usual.

Off the start I passed a number of people into the first climb and continued to make good headway through the first two laps. During the third I backed it off a bit when they announced three laps to go but didn't lose any places. Then in the fourth lap I started working a bit harder and went with whatever was left for the final lap. I nearly caught one more guy at the end of the last lap and I think that I should have been able to if I had started going hard sooner but in the end he beat me by just under 2 seconds. I ended up finishing 10th out of 28 starters which was ok given the pre race prep. but I would have liked to get a couple more spots. I think that the course there suits my riding strengths so hopefully next year I will have a 'cross bike and better preparation and I can do a bit better.

If I can find any photos I will post them but I don't have any myself due to the harried start and then leaving immediately after the race as the babies and Jodi were freezing. Seems a little soft I know, so I 'm not sure if I have managed to sire any 'cross addicts. One may always hope.

1 comment:

  1. Happy that you made it! Great write-up, and great finish!

    ReplyDelete